Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Life drawing with ink

Over the weekend I attended the sketch club at ArtEst. The model was a man, which was an exception and rather refreshing. I decided to attempt these sessions with ink. At first I used charcoal to outline then a confident brush strokes. Erasing the charcoal left marks.


So I decided to go without the charcoal. Maybe because it was the last session and I was warmed up, the result was better.


An opportunity to sketch Sarina came up in the week. She lives in a house right on the waterfront in the eastern suburbs. What a view! The waves lapped gently and there were boats on the water. She certainly lives well. Anyway we had a lovely time although my sketches were, I thought, mediocre. The best one is this 3 min sketch with loose lines.


I believe that the best sketches in ink are the ones done quickly. The lines are looser and impressionistic. Longer poses end up over worked.