Sunday, August 8, 2010

Exhibition!

Back from the overseas trip, I've deliberately not enrolled in art classes this term so that I can devote time to the looming exhibition. For those who do not know, Catherine and I are exhibiting our works at Cafe Yuga in Glebe opening on Fri 1 Oct. It will be my first so I'm nervous. But at the same time, I long to put part 2 of art in practice: the commercial aspects of showing and (hopefully) selling paintings. Few can make a living from art alone however, the prospect of testing my ideas of what sells and why actually excites me(!). Yes, I acknowledge that I'm a freak as most artists are only interested in creating not selling. Catherine and I had a project status meeting (consultant talk for a catch up) and we had an agenda plus action items for both of us. So far so good. My objective is to get a number of artworks off my wall and create space for future paintings. The pricing strategy is to make it affordable but not too much of a bargain (I saw a painting I liked for $50 once but was too suspicious to buy it). Paintings that I was loathed to part with I will put a high price on so that I'd be consoled if it sold. Catherine is of the opinion that such paintings should not be sold else it ends in regrets. As a veteran exhibitor she should know!