Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sunbathers

By far my favourite setting is the beach, water and rocks. These inspire paintings much more than other subjects. What is more, I seem to paint them from the heart and picture myself once more enjoying summer.

This painting was done from a series of photos I took of Wylies Bath. These sunbathers are languidly warming themselves before plunging into the inviting baths. I believe that these are the first figures I've painted for quite a while. I really enjoy drawing and painting figures but stopped because my sister-in-law the art teacher said my landscapes were better.


She is probably right. I have a tendency to paint like I draw, which means lines and detail. Painting is of course, based on getting tones right. Here I've deliberately ignored details and focussed on tones and it has worked out well.


The Australian sun is very bright which means that there is high key: great contrasts between light and shadows.