Saturday, January 29, 2011

Parsley Bay at sunset

The humid Jan and the even more humid and hot ( if history is anything to go by!) Feb is a real inhibitor to artistic efforts. All I want to do on a sweltering day is to dip in the ocean and make as little movement as possible to avoid heating up.

Consequently art has taken a backseat and this painting (one of the largest I've ever attempted) has languished incomplete in my studio. Finally a cool day turned up and I got going with this result.




This woman caught my eye as she read in the shade of the gum tree. Her companion cannot be seen, perhaps he has gone for a dip. The shadows are long but the water still glitters.


They have probably spent the day at Parsley, evidence: the deck chairs, bags and stuff. Catching the last bits of sun before heading home. Idyllic summer days to cherish.