Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gum nuts inspiration

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the flowering gums are in bloom and looking great. But with the recent rain and gales they have been blown away leaving the sculptural forms of their nuts behind. A walk around the neighborhood (secateur in hand) lent me the opportunity of collecting and examining a number of different gumnuts.


Aren't they beautiful? I am using these as inspiration for my pottery. Although not posted too often here, I've been busy thinking about and making clay models and pots. There is considerable time lag with ceramics as there is a need to bisque fire and then glaze before a second firing. Also all that waiting in between to gather sufficient numbers to fire. However I shall take some photos of works in progress next opportunity and post it here.