Sunday, September 11, 2011

More Still Life Paintings

Inspired by Paul McCarthy, I went on a frenzy of still life painting recently.  Still life is most suitable for this time of the year as it is frequently too cold and wet to set up outside.  The subjects can be arranged as you please, and they do not move!  Furthermore, painting from life looks so much better than from photos or sketches.  There is virtually no downside with regards to the logistics of still life painting, although I do prefer to look at a lovely view than a lovely fruit. 

I did despair when I saw Margaret Olley's bush lemons after I had painted mine.  Of course she was a very famous and talented painter and I'm only starting out.  The point of the exercise is to try and paint a white tablecloth in the light, that actually had blue and bits of yellow in it.  Did you know that a white tablecloth isn't all white??

I'm quite fond of this painting of my gorgeous silver jug.  It has the most lovely reflections, and here I posed a pink camellia from my garden next to it.  The camellias in my garden are only just started to get going, whilst I know other people's gardens have finished with them.