Thursday, July 25, 2013

Momentum

Well dear readers after my exciting time in America, I came back full of ideas of what to paint next. But before I could do anything worthwhile, I had visitors which was very nice but hardly productive. So before I knew it, the end of July is nigh and I had to enrol in a painting course to get going again.


Momentum is a funny thing and it applies to any activity really. Once stopped there's so many barriers (or excuses) to getting going. But get started and it's effortless to roll into the next creative thing. I attribute this to being in a creative zone.


Paul McCarthy is currently into painting gum trees. I love gumtrees and was able to get a few tips about mixing the colours right. But before gums I longed to paint an urban scape of New York City. Here is my effort of Times Square on a rainy day.



As you can see its a very loose style where I'm normally quite neat. Splashing paint on quickly to cover the paper and then putting in some detail. The funny thing is that it's quite convincing even if there is scant detail. The brain makes out the crowd and the bright neons which is what glitzy Broadway is all about.