Wednesday, July 9, 2014

More hillside towns

At the risk of sounding blasé and ungrateful, I think I've overdosed on Tuscan and Umbrian hillside towns. They are all picturesque and built on steep hills. Puffing uphill is mandatory if attractions are to be seen. And most have great views but I've been to so many recently that they have all merged into one.... Cortona, Siena, Spoleto, Norcia, Castellucio, Gubbio....



Yesterday we went to Gubbio for the funicular. It's a unique one that is not fully enclosed, more like a cage. Quite terrifying when travelling at speed. At the top was a minor Basillica dedicated to San Urbaldo. The saint himself is mummified and can be appreciated. This is a quick sketch of the courtyard with brick archways.


There was a terrific storm this morning and when it cleared the mist lifting off the valley was quite spectacular so I had to attempt a painting. Today I'm laundering having decided on a quiet day at the villa. The Laus have rushed off to see Orvieto. Ordinarily I might have gone but it's probably just another hill side town and I would be better off painting here. Roger is reading on the hammock and Sam enjoying a quiet day away from cousins.