Monday, June 22, 2009

The trouble with portraits

When I review my works I think and my friends tend to agree that my portraits and life drawing are better than my landscapes. Drawing people is hard but the results are much more immediate and 'grabs' attention. However I've had some issues with sitters not in terms of likeness which they agree is good but with their dismay at the unvarnished truth - do I really have that many wrinkles, jowls or grey hair? Even very old people haven't let their youthful self image go! Should art flatter? I suppose given a commission I would stoop to it. But not otherwise! It is also difficult to imbue the personality in a portrait : that is the challenge faced by accomplished portrait artists and novices alike. For now I've taken a break from portraits although I am likely to begin again when I visit family in KL next month.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, there's an award for you over on my blog if you like that sort of thing. :)

    ReplyDelete