Sunday, May 16, 2010

Pin up girls of 1940s, 50s and 60s

Sarina invited me to a drawing session at East Sydney which was held every month. The session was focussed on the pin up girls of the 1940's and 50's.


Pin up, as Barry Dean, the teacher explained, was a wartime genre, a precursor to today's Playboy magazine. They were more conservative then, and the girls were mostly clad, with some underwear and stockings/ suspenders showing. Mostly, reasons were invented for this slip: from skirts blown by wind (eat your heart out Marilyn) to inadvertently placed fishing hooks or golf clubs. Pin ups were originally sent to fighting troops to remind them why they were doing the fighting. This was actually a very successful genre for some artists, the best known of whom are Vargas and Elvgren. The session was focussed on Elvgren, with Sarina recreating the poses complete with props and a cheeky grin. As a burlesque dancer, Sarina has a number of dresses and outfits that were of the era. So, complete with songs from the period, I felt like I was transported back to the 1940's! The group was fairly accomplished with some outstanding artists, I enjoyed looking at their art and got some great ideas. Here is one I did using pastels and the original Elvgren for reference.





The second one I thought worth posting is of the sweater girl. Both these were done in 30 mins.





I am fascinated by this genre for although I like nudes, clothed people presents a greater not reduced challenge. Sarina kindly agreed to let me photograph her so I am intending to develop one or two into acrylics on canvas.