Sunday, May 19, 2013

Brooklyn museum NY

A post from New York!
Readers, I've finally made one dream come through and am in New York City. This was an opportunistic trip taken in between R's jobs. As he had been with the previous organisation for 12 years, I had to grab my chance when it presented. The short notice nearly drove me balmy in making travel plans.



Today was cold and wet in NY so it was definitely a museum sort of day. I took child to Brooklyn Museum as R had the man flu and lolled in bed all day. This sculpture of voluptuous Standing Woman by Gaston Lachaise was much to my liking. There was a marvellous collection of Egyptian artefacts and S was freaked out when she learnt that the mummy was a real body. Never mind that its 4000 years old.


This painting and drawing caught my eye. A whimsical illustration of Huck and Tom by Santi Moix, beautifully rendered.



The blockbuster was a watercolour exhibition of John Singer Sargent. The subjects ranged from women lounging in pastoral settings, Italian gardens, Venice, Bedouins and some landscapes. Doubtless he was a master - just look at how he painted white on white.



My favourites were his landscapes. This one is the Crags. The following are two renditions of the same subject, one in watercolour and the other in oils.





See how the water ripples and sparkles? Sargent's watercolours are lively and vivid. He does this in that infuriating, unforgiving medium what I fail to capture using acrylics. There are definitely lessons to be learnt here.....