Tuesday, May 21, 2013

MOMA

MOMA is the museum of modern art in NY and it has a fabulous selection of art showing the roots of modern art; ie before it became incomprehensible to the likes of me. This progression took several decades and probably began with Impressionism. The Impressionists attempted to capture the light and atmosphere. My favourite impressionists Monet and Cezanne were well represented.

This Cezanne showed how he captured "vibrations of light" and movement through his brushstrokes and colour. Have you noticed how Cezanne uses these short but directional strokes always? Seurat is another artist attempting the same but through tiny dots of colours (pointillism).
Monet late in his life made these room sized paintings of the famous pond at Giverny. The most extreme examples are held at elliptical rooms at the Musee L'Orangerie in Paris. MOMA has several examples that are smaller. These later Monets are much more abstract and due to the size and composition, I felt that I was actually immersed in the water. What a great idea for a painting!

This Picasso is my favourite - a great example of early Cubism - the bodies are more geometric but still recognisable. I have seen it years ago in Sydney on loan and attempted my own version but that was before I was confident in life drawing so the results failed to live up to my expectations.

This is an abstract of swifts flying by Giocomo Balla. The notion is to capture the movement of flight.
Gino Severini also did some fabulous work of capturing motion with his 'Dynamic Hieroglyphic of the Bal Tabarin' - a study of dance motions. In my time I've attempted some studies of Flamenco dancers but nothing quite as accomplished as these masters. Another great direction to pursue when I get home!