Saturday, February 26, 2011

Expressive colour workshop

Attended a really interesting workshop at Art Est today on expressive colour. Thus far, I have not been adventurous with colours, sticking to real life colours. But Ochre who runs the workshop introduced us to the world of colours using Gauguin and Bonnard as examples.

I had done some colour theory previously but this reinforced what I remembered. We spend a couple of hours looking at the colour wheel. Then we made our own using warm and cool primaries. I learnt that the paintings were so vibrant because of the way they placed complementary colours next to each other. Red and green, yellow and purple, blue and orange : they weren't afraid of contrast!

Finally we copied a piece to learn the colours it used. Here is my attempt at copying Gauguin.