Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Moreton bay fig tree

Those who follow my blog know the principle I follow in painting; if it doesn't look good after 8 hours of effort then it's time to discard and start again. On this principle I have abandoned about a quarter of projects. This painting, begun last year, should have been a casualty except for the fact that I loved the way the trees in the background came out. There is a feeling of warmth and a glow about it that made me think it worth rescuing.




What I was stuck on was the foreground. I tried painting a stream but that didn't work. I tried a road but that looked too flat. I stopped numerous times and contemplated taking the canvas off supports and cropping it. Then I stuck it at the back of the cupboard and forgot it for months.

In the new year, I felt like making some corrections to old work (believe me this is a rare feeling!) and pulled it out again. As foreground I decided that a road was ok but something had to lead the eye to the tree. Further, I borrowed a book on common oil painting mistakes and applied myself to the problem of the flat grass and road colours. That recommended the inclusion of different shades of green and gray to break up the expanse and create interest. A handy tip : I think I rescued this one! Mind you I would hate to think how much time I spent on it!