Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Louise Portrait in Pastel


I've always wanted to try pastels but lacked knowledge about the colours. Then when sketching a portrait of Louise in charcoal on an A3 pad, I realised that the paper, whilst no heavier than cartridge weight, had the necessary grooves to hold pastels. As an experiment, I put pastel over the charcoal sketch. I am pleased with the colours achieved in the shadows, etc. Pastels are ideal for finer work and touching up a painting because you can add so much more detail.
The art shop did not have cream coloured paper in stock of the pastel texture, so I've decided to just paint a ground across acrylic paper and make further attempts this way.
Pastels are a medium that I'm familiar with, having dealt a lot with charcoal plus it has the advantage that one can stop and start anytime. It is easier to get some art in between chores and family life. As it doesn't dry up like acrylics, one doesn't need 2-3 hours stretches to make it worth while. However, it does present a limited palette even if it is possible to blend two or more colours on paper.
Louise writes: "I like it A LOT and T (her daughter) thinks it looks just like me. Well done- now can you get rid of the wrinkles and grey hair on my real face !!!! "

No comments:

Post a Comment