Saturday, February 21, 2009

Portrait Class Week 2

This week's focus was on breaking the face up into planes. Pina gave us quite a few tips:

  • the eyes start from the eyebrows down to the bottom of the eyeballs (quite often there will be creases, there is an anatomical name the eludes me).
  • eyes are parallelogram shaped.
  • eyes are positioned in a V shape on a face
  • noses have wedges at its tip

There was more but she uses their anatomical names that I cannot for the life of me, remember. The model was Eric again! For those who haven't been following the blog, he is the 60 year old model. For his age, he looks great, he has all his hair even though they are white, and he has nice muscular definitions for a 60 year old. He sure pops up in a few places. Here are a few illustrations from the class.

I then went home and thought that "here is the solution to my struggles to get a likeness". I was determined to try it on my long suffering husband, who was working on his laptop. It worked really well as this is the closest I've got to capturing his face.

Further to the pastel experiment, I did this pastel painting (sort of unfinished but will get there when I brush up on pastel skills), again on a subject dear to my heart. It is a depiction of my 5 year old daughter playing tea party with her Nani and her favourite dog, Harry. I like this because it captures a typical scene when they are together - Nani is very very fond of her grand daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment