Sunday, February 1, 2009

Portrait in red and green

My friend Eunice has masses of lovely red hair which I was always itching to capture. She has the pale complexion found in redheads but no freckles! Lucky lady. Anyway, Eunice obligingly posed for a portrait.
Because of her red hair, I decided that a yellow-violet combination would not go as well as a red-green colour scheme. I did this over a few hours and painting is so much easier than drawing when it comes to portrait because if it doesn't fit, just paint over it! Erasing drawings is messy and leave smudges.
When I showed this to my 5 year old, she identified Eunice enthusiastically and immediately and when I asked if it was because of the red hair, she agreed but then added that other things 'looked like Eunice'. Eunice thinks that a 5 year old will always be honest.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your 5 year old it definitely looks like Eunice! What a great painting. Susan, Dublin

    ReplyDelete