Sunday, October 31, 2010

Last day of exhibition

We took down the paintings today from the gallery cafe. Sold 5 out of 7 and Cath sold 4 out of 7. We did very well all things considered. I'm out of beachscapes aside from the Wylies series that I'm developing further. These were such a bugger to complete due to the structure of the kiosk that I refused to entertain parting with them. Besides they are a series although I'm not sure if anybody would buy the lot in one go.

So what did I learn from a first exhibition?

1. People like beachscapes. It reminds them where they would rather be.

2. People really liked the picture of the kids jumping waves. I always wondered if it was too sentimental but that had wide appeal and I probably could have charged more.

3. The picture of a boulevard of trees went very quickly. The depth of field, perspective and serene feel impressed the audience.

4. Nudes are not as popular. I guess you can't hang it anywhere. Could be offensive.

5. We didn't charge enough. Of course I had no previous yardstick. But we could have upped the price by another 20-30% for many pieces.

6. Reproduction is key to future profit without the pain. Of course the price you can charge is less but the possibility of selling more than one could make this more profitable.