Thursday, October 21, 2010

Life Drawing with Pina

Enrolled myself in another life drawing class mainly to jumpstart my creative efforts. This one was taught my Pina who taught portrait drawing at the SCC. She asked us to try 3 techniques: continuous line which produces some funky results, block shading to get the mass in and basic shapes eg circles and ellipses to build up the figure. It has been so long since I've been tutored I'd forgotten these techniques.


Pina says that drawing is a good discipline for the artist: like Barr exercises to the ballerina. Ground work and practice. I tend to agree with her.


Love the figure; just can't work out how to turn them into sellable art works that's all. I intended to paint but couldn't get my act together in the end. These fortnightly classes are perfect for me as it affords time in between to get going on other creative ventures.